Thursday, February 11, 2016

Repetition Leads to Inspiration

I don't know how many of you follow the General Authorities on facebook, but I do, and they are awesome. I love seeing our Apostles and Prophet online, hanging out on social media! It makes me giggle sometimes. I follow David A. Bednar, and something he posted this week was really interesting to me.
He shared the following story:
     "My wife, Susan, and I have learned a remarkable revelatory lesson during my years of service in           the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.
      As we travel and serve together around the world, Susan records simple notes about the places we       visit, the people we meet, and the topics we teach. She has become adept at noticing in various             venues the things that are dissimilar in my explanations of the same gospel principles. Susan                 listens for the statements I have never used before, changes in an explanation, or refinements in           the answer to a question. Interestingly, the messages always are the same and always are                     different.
      We have learned to treasure the spiritual gems that are revealed through repetition. The distinctive       nuggets of inspiration and spiritual knowledge that flow into our minds and hearts as we repeatedly       teach and testify of gospel truths are the product of a line upon line and precept upon precept               pattern of revelation. Repetition is a vehicle through which the Holy Ghost can enlighten our minds,       influence our hearts, and enlarge our understanding."
First of all, I love that his wife makes those notes. I would think after hearing the same lessons and stories again and again for years, you would start to tune them out. Instead, she listens intently and notices the subtle differences. I had never stopped to consider how the small differences might amount to revelation and personal application. It just shows me that our Apostles are indeed inspired. Their messages are inspired and tailored to each audience, fine tuned by the Spirit they carry with them. How amazing is that! 
When you read John 15; 16, you begin to appreciate the Apostles even more. It says "Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain; that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you." Another scripture that I read this week that really testifies of the Apostles is in 3 Nephi 12:1 it says "And it came to pass that when Jesus had spoken these words unto Nephi, and to those who had been called, (now the number of them who had been called, and received power and authority to baptize, was twelve) and behold, he stretched forth his hand unto the multitude, and cried unto them, saying: Blessed are ye if ye shall give heed unto the words of these twelve whom I have chosen from among you to minister unto you, and to be your servants; and unto them I have given power that they may baptize you with water; and after that ye are baptized with water, behold, I will baptize you with fire and with the Holy Ghost; therefore blessed are ye if ye shall believe in me and be baptized, after that ye have seen me and know that I am." 
I love these scriptures because they show us the power of the Apostles, that they are indeed men chosen by Heavenly Father to minister to His children on Earth. They have been ordained, and have received power, to do the Lord's work. How amazingly blessed we are to live in an age where I can scroll through facebook and read the words of Apostles!!! Wow! 
Second reason I loved Elder Bednar's story: Repetition. I think a lot of times, we (and I mean me) get caught up in the repetition of our church meetings. Three hours, every Sunday, and once a month a Sunday where we are super hungry (or hangry, whichever type of faster you are...). It can be tedious, when approached incorrectly. I think this is one of the reasons the general authorities have been stressing the importance of keeping the Sabbath day holy. We need to make this day our escape-from-the-world day. I know for myself, other than church on Sunday, I don't do much to distinguish Sunday from any other day, other than the fact that I don't shop. I know that I need to become better at treating Sundays as my personal recharge day. 
I thought when I started the Book of Mormon again recently, that it would be the same from the last time I read it. I was so wrong. Even though I am rereading the same book, this time I am at a whole new stage in life, I am making big decisions and planning my future out, and I am seeing all new insights in the Book of Mormon. It is perfectly tailored to my needs, right now, at this point in my life. 
Basically, I think that we need repetition in this life. Sometimes it takes a knock to the head for us to finally understand something, or this time we hear it, it means something completely new to us! I have never valued repetition much before, but I understand and value it a whole lot more now. 

2 comments:

  1. I read this post of Elder Bednar's yesterday. I love how he appreciates his wife. I am sure it is not an easy thing to be an apostles wife. I love repetition, it allows me to see things in a new perspective as my life continually changes. Great post,Abby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this post of Elder Bednar's yesterday. I love how he appreciates his wife. I am sure it is not an easy thing to be an apostles wife. I love repetition, it allows me to see things in a new perspective as my life continually changes. Great post,Abby.

    ReplyDelete