Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Studying: It makes all the difference.

Currently, I am on day 25 of a 90-day Book of Mormon reading challenge that was issued by my YSA Bishop. 25 days of reading the Book of Mormon, and I am beginning Mosiah. Throughout my whole life I have struggled to establish a daily scripture reading habit. No matter how much I tried, it never stuck with me. Even when I was in Young Women's and all I had to do to finish my medallion was finish the Book of Mormon, I still couldn't get into the habit! I did eventually finish, but only after three days of non-stop reading/listening to it. That's why I was hesitant when I decided to take two classes very heavy on scripture reading, and why I was concerned when we began this ward challenge.

25 days later, I can say that I have finally established the habit! Right after church the day our Bishop issued the challenge, I began the Book of Mormon anew with the intent to actually follow this challenge. We have a bookmark that tells us which chapters to read each night, and what to mark. I decided to only mark 1. Whenever a reference is made to Christ and 2. Personal revelations. I began reading, and I have kept up! Every night I read my challenge chapters, and then my assigned scriptures for class. And in 25 days, I can definitely feel the strength and peace that comes from this incredible book. Sure, I missed one or two days, but when I did, I picked right back up and caught myself up with the challenge. And on those days when I missed, I could tell by the way I was feeling about myself and about life, that I needed to read even more than before.

What have I learned from the Book of Mormon so far? That it is completely, undoubtedly, wholly true. I thought I had a testimony of the Book of Mormon before, and I am sure I did to an extent, but I have never actually studied these words before. I read them, for sure, but never studied them with a purpose. What I have found from these pages is peace of mind and resolve to do better. I have learned more about Christ's suffering and grace and patience. I have learned about my divine potential and what I have the ability to do with Heavenly Father's help. I have learned from the prophets that prayer is the surest way to a miracle, and that miracles can and do happen. I am only just to Mosiah, and I have learned all of these things.

In 2 Nephi 27:12, Nephi talks about a prohecy in which a book will be brought forth and shown to three witnesses by the power of God, and that these three witnesses will testify to truth of the book and the things therein. I want to add my witness to theirs. This is a true testament of Jesus Christ. The lessons taught within the pages of the Book of Mormon are meant for us, in this time to hear and take warning from. I know that as I continue to read and study and ponder the things in this book, I will be closer to Heavenly Father than ever before, and I will come to know Jesus Christ in a very personal way.

I love this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment